Skip to main content

Support for vulnerable customers

Medical dependency

If you or someone in your household are medically dependent on electricity we understand that your electricity supply and back-up arrangements are quite literally a lifeline for you.

If you or someone in your household is medically dependent on electricity we need to know so that we can ensure:

you get the information you need about any planned outages; and

your property’s electricity supply is not disconnected for non-payment under any circumstance.

If we know you are medically dependent on electricity we will maintain a record in our system so that we treat you with the extra care you need.

If you’d like to be registered as a medically dependent household you can notify us at any time. We will request information about your dependency (for example a medical certificate) to verify your needs. We also ask all of our customers when they are joining us and check again at least once a year. This information may be retained on a special register; you have the right to check or change the information contained about you.

Download 'Notice of Medically Dependent or Vulnerable Person' form

Vulnerable customer

If you or someone in your household is a vulnerable customer we need to know so we can provide the right support or connect you with those that can help.

The Electricity Authority says someone could be a vulnerable customer if:

(a) for reasons of age, health or disability, the disconnection of electricity would present a clear threat your health or wellbeing; and/or

(b) it is genuinely difficult for you to pay your electricity bills because of severe financial insecurity, whether temporary or permanent.

If you are vulnerable, please give us a call on 0800 947 967 or email us.

Payment difficulties

If you're having difficulty making a payment, it’s really important you reach out to us as soon as you can. We’re here to help.

If a payment is scheduled for a day that doesn’t suit, let us know and we’ll see if we can reschedule that payment or come up with a payment plan for you.

Need support or advice to manage your budget or to help with payments for your energy? Contact:

Citizens Advice Bureau: 0800 FOR CAB (0800 367 222)

New Zealand Federation of Family Budgeting Services: 0508 BUDGET (0508 283 438)

Salvation Army: Check their website for local contact details.

Work and Income New Zealand: 0800 559 009

Need help communicating with us?

Do you think that in future you may have trouble communicating with us or paying your electricity bills? Give us a way of reaching you through someone else — an alternate contact.

An alternate contact can be a family member, friend, or social agency. They need to have agreed to help you if you’re:

  • having trouble understanding the information we give you

  • having trouble paying

  • facing disconnection of your electricity.

You can give us more than one name to contact. If you would like us to record an alternate contact on your account, get in touch.

You can reach us on 0800 947 867, 9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday & 9am to 4pm Friday or email

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter

Be the first one to know about news, product information and special offers.