Help us make a big green dent in the universe
We're on a mission to drive the global renewable energy revolution, and we need loads more people to help us make our vision a reality.
We're looking for Energy Specialists to form the operations team in our new Wellington office.
A role with Octopus Energy is a chance to join an exciting scale-up business within the energy supply sector – one that’s at the forefront of changing the landscape of the energy industry across the world. A job with us offers you the chance to contribute to building world class operations that will catapult you into a fantastic career.
We’ve only recently expanded to New Zealand and can’t wait to grow our team.
As a founding member of the new NZ team, you’ll...
- Talk to our customers over the phone or via email from all tentacles of our business across the world.
- You’ll engage with industry stakeholders and help to drive a global change to make renewable energy more accessible to all.
- Set up our NZ operations so you’ll be at the heart of everything we do - working with customers and keeping customer’s interests at the centre of every decision we make.
- Take full responsibility for all issues that you come across, you’ll be delivering end to end customer service. Gone are the days of customers getting stuck in a never ending loop of being transferred between departments, you’ll be fully trained in every aspect of the customer experience and be able to help with any problem.
What you’ll need:
- A degree qualification
- You don’t need prior energy experience. We do things differently at Octopus so it doesn’t always help! We’re looking for people with initiative; you can be a recent graduate or parent looking for a flexible and dynamic opportunity. Some experience in customer service would however be a real benefit
- Right to work in NZ
- You are based in New Zealand currently and are able to start in Wellington ASAP
You’ll also need to be:
- Excited to help customers - Customer service and improving a customer’s experience is key for all our team- from the UK Group CEO to our Data Scientists, everyone across the business deals with customers. In Operations, we’re at the forefront and the main point of call for all our customers and it will be your responsibility to go to the ends of the earth to keep them impressed and excited about Octopus Energy being their energy supplier.
- Open minded - We’re a rapidly growing company, which means sometimes things go wrong, and we don’t shy away from this. We take everything as a learning curve and expect you to as well, being proactive in spotting weak areas and suggesting solutions and improvements to the customer’s experience.
- Approachable - Everything we do in operations, and across Octopus, is built around teamwork. People in our teams are always there to support and help each other and we expect everyone to be a team player.
- Inclusive - We are looking to expand our wonderful, inclusive culture full of enthusiastic, unique and diverse people from all backgrounds as we grow across the world and continue to change the industry. We want you to bring your whole self to work and to your interview (don’t dye your hair back to your natural colour on our behalf!).
- Dedicated to sustainability - As a renewable energy supplier, those who are a part of our team are also deeply committed to helping, in any way they can in their personal lives in the fight against climate change and making a positive impact for the future.
- Committed to improvement - Our energy specialists are the main point of call for our customers and their input hugely shapes the customer journey. We are looking for people who will think outside the box, challenge the status quo and come up with innovative ways of doing things.
- Willing to muck in and work hard! - There may not always be a ready-made precedent for what you’ve been asked to help with! You’ll be part of an ambitious team and will need to deal with challenging situations when supporting customers.
- Excellent at prioritisation-working proactively and efficiently. Happy to multi-task and manage a variety of tasks at any given time.
- Happy with a fast pace- priorities can change very quickly, we’ll need you to adapt under pressure and thrive at the challenge.
Why else you'll love it here:
Founded in 2016, Octopus Energy already has 2 million customers in the UK & has recently expanded to the US, Germany, NZ & soon to be Japan. We came to NZ this year & will be rapidly growing the team, you’ll help us to build on the culture & success that we’ve had in the UK.
Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 & our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture & how we empower our people
Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, & do our best to make work & life merge smoothly together.
Relaxation - we don’t count your holidays here, we work hard, & so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group across the world, so we all work together towards success
Office culture & social events - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee & soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates & drinks - we call it Family Dinner. As a new office, you’ll be integral in creating an environment where you can all thrive
**At Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, a diverse and inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone. You are welcome to apply no matter your race, gender identity, age, family or civil status, disability, religion, or ethnicity.**
If this opportunity sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we're doing at Octopus Energy then we'd love to hear from you.